"My ideas flow so rapidly that I have not time to express them -- by which means my letters sometimes convey no ideas at all to my correspondents." - Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Ultimate Book Bash Tag - Part 3

Come to my Book Bash!
The Ultimate Book Bash at Austenitis

This is the last part of my answers to the book tag for The Ultimate Book Bash at  Austenitis. Much thanks to Charity U for hosting this week and coming up with these questions, they were so much fun to answer! 


Read Part 1 and Part 2 of my answers for more interesting rambles.



21. Name two books we wouldn't have expected you to enjoy. - Hmm...not sure about this one. Well, I am rather a Jane Austen purist when it comes to Jane Austen sequels and fan fiction so I don't read many and don't like most that I have read. But I found Letters From Pemberley by Jane Dawkins at a thrift store and my friend gave me Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler for my birthday last year and I actually enjoyed both of them. 
Also some people may not know that I love mysteries and I recently found a book called Irish Murders at a thrift store and I'm loving it! It's all about real murder cases (some unsolved!) from the early 1800's to modern days and they are all very interesting!  


22. Name three books that have good movies to go with them. - Jane Austen's Emma has the lovely Emma 2009, Pride and Prejudice has the amazingly accurate Pride & Prejudice 1995 and Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South has the perfectly interesting North & South 2005.


23. Any books coming out soon that you're looking forward to? - Can't think of any right now, I'm too busy reading all of the old books that I don't have much time to look forward to new books. I was looking forward to Julie Cave's new book Pieces of Light which came out in June and very thankful that my dad ordered a copy for my birthday.


24. Name two authors you'd like to talk to. - Authors alive today? Because I'd like to talk to dead authors more than live ones! Two authors today who I'd like to talk to are Janette Oke and Julie Cave. Dead authors would be Jane Austen and Agatha Christie (my favorites!).


25. Science fiction or a fairy tale? - Usually fairy tales, they are more my cup of tea. I've read a few of Gail Carson Levine's fairytale stories and love their updated by still old-fashioned feel. 


26. A classic book you haven't read is...? Since I'm not really a reader there are several classic books that I've always wanted to read but just haven't seen yet. I really want to read more of Elizabeth Gaskell and  Charles Dickens' books. Also I've never read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte all the way through before because I've never been able to get very far from it and have decided that I don't want to.


27. Shakespeare or George Bernard Shaw (who wrote Pygmalion)? - Shakespeare, he's my favorite! Right now I can't even think of anything else that Shaw wrote! My favorite Shakespeare is Twelfth Night but I also love A Winter's Tale and Much Ado About Nothing!


28. Name a movie (or two) where it's actually better than the book. - This is difficult because usually when I do read I find that the books are better than their film adaptations. I honestly can't think of any!


29. Where is your favorite place to read? - Usually in my room. I love to curl up in bed with a good book and maybe one of my favorite movie soundtracks or classical music CDs playing in the background. 



30. What are your favorite quotes from books? - Too many to count! Let me see if I can just put a few here:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." ~ Henry Tilney, Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen


"The fact that I am a woman does not make me a different kind of Christian, but the fact that I am a Christian does make me a different kind of woman." - Elisabeth Elliot, Let Me Be A Woman


"I declare, after all, there is no enjoyment like reading a book! How much sooner one tires of anything of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library." Miss Caroline Bingley, Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice, Chapter XI


31. What book would you most like to see made into a movie? - Right now I'd really like to see Julie Cave's Dinah Harris series made into films, they would be such exciting mysteries with wonderful Christian values! I'd also love to see Jane Austen's Lady Susan, as well as Louisa May Alcott's Eight Cousins and Rose In Bloom adapted for film. 


32. What book character do you identify with the most with? - I identify with many of Jane Austen's heroines, particularly Elinor Dashwood from Sense & Sensibility and Catherine Morland from Northanger Abbey. But when I read Elizabeth Gaskell's North & South for the first time my heart went out to heroine Margaret Hale, the events in her life paralleled some of the events in my life and I really identified with her. 

2 comments:

  1. The pictures you used in this post were gorgeous! I loved reading this post because so much of it I agree with: I would love to see 'Lady Susan' made into film, and I too didn't make it very far into 'Wuthering Heights' (Heathcliff gives me the creeps).

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charity U from Austenitis said:

    Hi, Miss Laurie. :) Yes, it's me, the blogging Charity U.

    Since my silly computer won't let me comment on Rather Bookish, I decided I'd email my comment, since I couldn't just be quiet. That's why I haven't commented on your other Book Bash posts, because the computer won't let me, but here's my comment for the third one.

    Those books you listed as ones we wouldn't have expected you to enjoy went on my to-read list. :) They all sound very interesting, especially the JAusten ones.

    I know, aren't Gail Carson Levine's fairy tales fun? Which were your favorites? She's come out with some not so great books, but some sure are good!

    Ugh, I made it 3/4 of the way through Wuthering Heights. It was just too weird. It's very rare that I don't finish a book...but this was one of those times.

    It's true, most classic films are not as good as the original book, because the books are so outstanding!

    Oh yes, I too love reading in a bed with a movie soundtrack playing. :) <3

    Oooo, good films-to-be-made choices. At least, the Alcott ones. You're right, a movie of Eight Cousins would be awesome!

    Again, thanks so much for doing this! And for leaving the links too. :)

    love,
    ~Charity U

    ReplyDelete