"My ideas flow so rapidly that I have not time to express them -- by which means my letters sometimes convey no ideas at all to my correspondents." - Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Literary Tag

Charity U at Austenitis did this Literary Tag and it sounded like so much fun I decided to do it here too! Thanks for this fun tag Charity!

1. Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to: Margaret Hale in Mrs. Gaskell's North & South. When I first read N&S I connected with her and felt her heart more than any other heroine I've read before. Not just her personality but also her circumstances touched right where I was in my life when I first read N&S. I also love and relate to Anne Elliot of Persuasion and Elinor Dashwood of Sense & Sensibility.

2. Share five of your favorite historical novels: Hmm...this is tricky. Defender of the Faith by Charles Ludwig, Mozart's Sister by Nancy Moser, I love all of the Little House books about the Ingalls family. Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess by Carolyn Meyer, Standing in the Light: The Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan by Mary Pope Osborne, I also read and enjoyed several books in the Trailblazer Series based on the lives of Christian heroes.

3. Out of those five books, who is your favorite character and why? I always love books about royalty and Queen Victoria is my favorite, she's so fascinating! Defender of the Faith is my favorite book about how the Lord worked to bring Victoria to the throne and bringing a much needed change to the monarchy.

4. What is your favorite time period and culture to read about? Books about or from the 1700's-1800's era are my favorites to read. Most of the books I read are set in England.

5. If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent? Well any of my favorite heroines but probably a Jane Austen character first of all. Probably Catherine Morland or Elinor Dashwood.

6. What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate? I ADORE chocolate! It's a must and is great for indulging while reading! :) I especially like chocolate mixed with something else like peanut butter, nuts, caramel or fruit.

7. Favorite author(s)? Jane Austen and Agatha Christie are my all time favorite authors. I've read and enjoyed almost all of their work. Other favorite authors include: Elizabeth Gaskell, Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens, Louisa May Alcott, Janette Oke, Lori Wick, Grace Livingston Hill, C.S. Lewis and so many more!

8. As a small, imaginative, red-haired damsel might query: would you rather be divinely beautiful, dazzlingly clever, or angelically good? Probably angelically good, then I'd be patient and kind to everyone.

9. In which century were most of the books you read written? In the 19th century, mostly. But early 1900's is a close second.

10. In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is... This is a hard one! I adore Henry Tilney and Mr. Knightley and Captain Wentworth but they probably wouldn't be considered the ultimate hero. I do just adore Austen heroes though, they are

11. Have you ever wanted to change a character's name? Yes! I love names and their relation to history and I can sometimes get very put out when a name is overused or used in the wrong time period. One great thing about Austen and Christie is that they use great names that are time period appropriate.

12. In your opinon, the most dastardly villain in all literature is... Wow! This is tricky! Maybe like Moriarty from Sherlock Holmes or Bill Sykes from Oliver Twist. Both are the worst I can think of. I recently made a list of my favorite villains but those were really my favorites because they're semi-good and interesting in their own way.

13. Three favorite non-fiction books? Besides my Bible the other books that have influenced my life are probably: I Kissed Dating Good-Bye by Joshua Harris, Let Me Be A Woman by Elisabeth Elliot, and The Delicate Power of Modesty by Dannah Gresh.


Now it's your turn! If you're reading this I'm tagging you! Go answer these questions on your blog and if you do let me know about it! This was so much fun!

~Miss Laurie

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked it, Miss Laurie! I had fun doing this too. :) I think I'll put it up on Photographer at Heart too, just for fun. :) I love all your choices for everything! I should have added Mr. Knightley to my ultimate hero list. He's pretty great! Agatha Christie is such a great author... :) Queen Victoria is SO interesting to read about! She is really great.

    ReplyDelete