"My ideas flow so rapidly that I have not time to express them -- by which means my letters sometimes convey no ideas at all to my correspondents." - Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tennyson's 'The Play'

Alfred Lord Tennyson - painted by Hubert von Herkomer 

The Play

Act first, this Earth, a stage so gloom'd with woe
You all but sicken at the shifting scenes.
And yet be patient. Our Playwright may show
In some fifth Act what this wild Drama means.

- by Alfred Lord Tennyson



This is one of my new favorite poems from my volume of Tennyson's Poetical Works
I love how this poem speaks of our life on earth as a play and that our Playwright will show us what events in this life will mean.

I hope you enjoyed!

Miss Laurie :)



2 comments:

  1. What a great poem! I really must read some of Tennyson's work!
    I just love how this particular poem sounds when spoken aloud (although I am most likely not reading it in the correct way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that Tennyson's poems sound particularly lovely when read aloud! There is such music and life about them! I hope to post more soon!

    ~Miss Laurie :)

    ReplyDelete