"My ideas flow so rapidly that I have not time to express them -- by which means my letters sometimes convey no ideas at all to my correspondents." - Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice

Friday, December 31, 2010

Books of 2010 & 2011



First of all, I changed the design and the header on my blog a bit. I feel that there's more room now to read and maneuver. I hope the design shows up as well for you as it does for me!

Now, a look back at the books I read in 2010:
  • Heart's Desire by Patsy Oda (re-read)
  • I Kissed Dating Good-Bye by Joshua Harris (re-read)
  • Curtain by Agatha Christie
  • Crooked House by Agatha Christie
  • Faith of the First Lady by Jerry MacGregor & Marie Prys
  • Let Me Be A Woman by Elisabeth Eliot
  • Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler
  • Time Will Tell by Laralee Bliss
  • A Bride By Christmas by Linda Goodnight, Kelly Eileen Hake, Vickie McDonough & Therese Stenzel
  • The White Flower by Grace Livingston Hill
  • Miss Lavinia's Call (and other stories) by Grace Livingston Hill
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
  • A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
  • The Bird's Christmas Carol by Kate Douglas Wiggins
Not bad all told but I hope to do even better in 2011! I've selected 30 books to read, most of which are books that have laid unread too long on the bookshelf. Here's my reading list for the new year:

-20 Fiction & Non-fiction Books:
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (re-read)
  • Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
  • Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
  • North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (re-reading, I will have to buy my own copy)
  • Deadly Disclosures by Julie Cave
  • The Shadowed Mind by Julie Cave
  • The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis (re-read)
  • The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
  • Villette or Shirley by Charlotte Bronte
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  • another by Charles Dickens such as The Old Curiosity Shop
  • The Young Visiters by Daisy Ashford (re-read)
  • The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliff
  • Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (re-read, after reading Udolpho)
  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  • Jane and the Wandering Eye by Stephanie Baron
  • The Sonnets by William Shakespeare (poetry)
  • Thomas Hardy by Claire Tomalin (biography)
  • an Agatha Christie novel for fun, probably re-read Tuesday Club Murders

-10 Spiritual & Christian Books:
  • Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris (re-reading)
  • Streams in the Desert by L.B. Cowman
  • Footprints of a Pilgrim by Ruth Bell Graham
  • The Measure of a Woman by Gene & Elaine Getz
  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (I hope to buy my own copy)
  • Dating Mr. Darcy by Sarah Arthur
  • God's Priceless Woman by Wanda Kennedy Sanseri (Bible study)
  • For Such A Time As This by Lisa Ryan (re-read)
  • Passion & Purity by Elisabeth Eliot (or another book by her, I'd have to buy my own copy)
  • The Secret Keeper by Dannah Gresh (re-read)

Both of the Gaskell novels I'll be reading between January 1st - June 1st for the Gaskell Reading Challenge.

My goal is to read at least 3/4 of the books on this list. I'm not a great reader, sometimes it takes me a while to get through long books, so I'm going to stick to reading only the books on the list and try not to read other things. I'm really looking forward to getting some reading done and am enjoying Deadly Disclosures by Emily Cave which was a Christmas gift.

What are you reading this year?

Very Truly Your's,
Miss Laurie

Happy New Year!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am an avid reader (as you may know by following Austenitis). Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park" is good, but "Pride and Prejudice" is my favorite, along with "Emma." I've never read "Wives and Daughters" (I've seen the movie, though) but I own "North and South." Interesting book, I should re-read it. I started Charlotte Bronte's "Villette" yesterday...it's interesting. A lot of French comments, which, since I don't know French, is a little annoying. Otherwise I'm enjoying it. "Little Women" is SO worth re-reading. It's great. :) I'm working on reading it aloud to myself, but it's taking a loooooong time. ;) "The Secret Keeper" is a good one, I've read that several times. I haven't read most of the ones in your Spiritual/Christian list, but I've heard of many of them. Hopefully I'll read some this year!
    Overall: great book list! I'll look forward to hearing what you think of them all. :)
    Finally, excuse this long comment...I can get carried away with books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Laurie: I awarded this blog too on Austenitis!

    ReplyDelete